If you’re on a ketogenic diet and working towards transforming your body, you have to consider everything you put in your body. To maximize the benefits of a keto diet you need to keep your body in ketosis to maximize fat burning. If you’re looking for something to fuel your workouts and give you a quick burst of energy while keeping you in ketosis these keto pre workouts are exactly what you’re looking for.
11 Best Keto-Friendly Pre Workout Supplements
These are the best keto-friendly pre workout supplements you can use to give yourself a quick jolt of energy and maximize your pump and focus in the gym.
Do Vitamins PurePump Pre-Workout Formula
Do Vitamins is very adamant about providing pure, clean supplements. This pre workout is free of any artificial ingredients, sugar or artificial sweeteners, and banned substances. In addition to being keto-friendly, PurePump is also certified Vegan and Paleo.
PurePump’s nutrition label is pretty impressive, as it’s full of effective pre workout ingredients without any inactive ingredients. This might just be the ultimate keto pre workout supplement, because it has no sugar and doesn’t use artificial sweeteners.
Why Do PurePump Pre-Workout?
- Clean and pure supplements without any unnecessary ingredients.
- Increased strength, focus and endurance for your training sessions.
- Contains no sugar or artificial sweeteners.
- Helps support healthy weight management and body composition.\
- Available in Lemon and Unflavored.
Transparent Labs BULK Pre-Workout
In a supplement market where most brands are selling the same products with different labels, Transparent Labs seeks to stand out by selling the highest quality products. Transparent Labs BULK is one of the industry’s top selling pre workout supplements thanks to its evidence-based, clinically dosed approach. This pre workout has no artificial colors, sweeteners, or flavors which is noted on its fully transparent label.
Why Transparent Labs BULK?
- Targeted Micronutrients to Support Anabolic Hormone Production
- Nootropic Ingredients Promote Mental Sharpness and Focus
- Improved Strength, Pump, and Muscle Stamina
- Focused on Building Lean Muscle Mass
Honey Badger Performance Energy Pre Workout
Honey Badger is a clean burning pre workout with a balanced focus on performance, focus, stamina, and pump. 150mg of caffeine makes this ideal for people looking for a milder pre-workout that won’t keep you up all night.
Why Honey Badger Pre Workout?
- Improved Circulation and Muscle Pump
- Includes Tyrosine for Intensity & Focus
Transparent Labs LEAN Pre-Workout
This is another great pre workout product from Transparent Labs. LEAN is specifically formulated to be the best pre workout for cutting available. The ingredients are all dosed based on clinical, scientific recommendations. In addition to the fat burning and energy benefits, LEAN also contains a Thyroid Support complex which can help improve performance and increase fat burning potential.
Why Transparent Labs LEAN?
- Clean Ingredients: Transparent Labs LEAN contains no artificial sweeteners, coloring, or preservatives.
- Improved Fat Burning: If you’re using a keto diet to shed fat, this pre workout’s ingredients can help raise your body’s core temperature to increase energy expenditure.
- Citrulline Malate: Citrulline Malate plays a key role in raising nitric oxide levels to deliver great muscle pumps and improve muscular endurance.
VitaMonk Pre Keto Pre Workout
- This is one of the only pre-workout drinks specifically formulated for keto dieters. The ingredient list is totally keto-friendly. VitaMonk Pre Keto contains BCAAs to improve endurance and a number of pump and focus ingredients.
Why VitaMonk Pre Keto?
- Contains MCTs To Improve Ketosis
- L-Carnitine for Increased Energy and Fat Mobilization
- No Artificial Sweeteners
Perfect Keto Perform Pre Workout
If you’re just kicking off your keto diet, this pre workout can be the perfect thing to power your workouts when you’re feeling sluggish.
Why Perfect Keto Perform Pre Workout?
- Natural Caffeine from Green Tea: This pre workout is great if you’re looking for a low stimulant option. Perfect Keto Perform contains just 50mg of caffeine per serving.
- MCTs for Sustained Energy: Rather than the unpleasant, jittery feelings you’ll get from high-stimulant pre workouts, the MCTs in this pre workout give you sustained energy to keep you going after you’ve finished your workout.
- Clean, Quality Ingredients: Keto Perform contains no added sugar, fillers or fiber additives. You won’t have to worry about hidden ingredients taking you out of ketosis.
- Great Tasting: The lemon flavor is delicious and can help satisfy some of the sweet cravings you may get while on keto.
C4 Original Pre Workout
Cellucor C4 is a leading selling in the pre workout space for a reason. It’s reliable, provides the ingredients you’re looking for in a pre workout and it’s widely accessible.
Why C4 Original Pre Workout?
- America’s Top Selling Pre-Workout: C4 is the most recognized name in pre workout supplements. The brand has been trusted since 2011 and has since sold more than 2 billion servings.
- Pump-Forward Ingredients: Nitrogen-containing compounds help build lean muscle mass by improving blood flow to deliver nutrients to your muscles for better pumps and recovery.
- Third-Party Tested: C4 Original has undergone third-party testing to ensure that there are no banned substances that could interfere with athletes subject to USADA testing.
Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy
Why Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy?
- Used by The Rock: If you’re a fan of The Rock and want to get on his level, Amino Energy just might be his secret to getting jacked. The Rock used Amino Energy before launching his own pre-workout brand.
- Low Caffeine Pre Workout: One serving of Amino Energy contains 100mg, making it a good option for working out later in the day.
- Improved Recovery: Amino acids can help improve muscle recovery, so you’ll be able to get back in the gym sooner.
- 10 Flavor Options: Blue Raspberry, Blueberry Lemonade, Blueberry Mojito, Fruit Fusion, Grape, Green Apple, Orange, Strawberry, Strawberry Lime, and Watermelon.
Bucked Up LFG Burn Pre Workout
LFG Burn is a pre-workout specifically formulated to optimize fat loss. LFG acts as a pre-workout and a fat burning supplement simultaneously. This is a high-stimulant pre-workout with 300mg of caffeine per serving. L-BAIBA helps increase fat burning.
Why Bucked Up LFG?
- Big Energy Boost
- Thermogenesis Increase for Fat Loss
- Increases Metabolic Function
- Dopaminergic Effects Improve Mood
- Increased Endurance and Exercise Output
Redcon1 Total War Pre Workout
Total War is an award-winning pre workout formula with caffeine, beta alanine, and Citrulline Malate. It’s designed specifically for athletes looking to get fast-acting energy and clear focus.
Why Redcon1 Total War?
- Endurance: Boost your energy with this high-stimulant workout and improve blood flow with beta alanine to keep you going longer.
- Banned Substance-Free: You won’t have to worry about failing drug tests from this pre-workout because its third-party tested and offers full transparency on the label.
- Balanced Pre Workout: This combination of stimulants, focus factors, and nitric oxide boosters make Total War a solid pre workout option.
Gorilla Mode Pre Workout
Gorilla Mode is a great pre workout with clinically dosed active ingredients. This pre workout combines high stimulant levels for high energy, nitric oxide boosters for crazy pumps, and nootropics for improved focus.
Why Gorilla Mode?
- Crazy Pumps: The combination of L-Citrulline, GlycerPump, Agmatine, Creatine and Betaine help saturate your muscles with blood and intracellular hydration.
- Potent Stimulants: Caffeine and N-Phenethyl Dimethlamine Citrate are both included in this workout, giving you a noticeable increase in energy.
- Nootropic Pre-Workout: Gorilla Mode contains high-dosed nootropics including L-Tyrosine, Kanna, and Huperzine A. When combined with the caffeine in this pre-workout, you’ll feel a noticeable improvement in focus and mental sharpness.
Can You Take Pre Workout on Keto?
Yes. There are pre workout supplements you can take while following a ketogenic diet, but check your pre workout’s label to be sure. Most pre-workouts are not sweetened with sugar, so generally they have zero calories per serving. However, there are some pre workouts that contain sugar, which obviously would derail your keto goals. To stay in ketosis while taking pre workout you should look for a pre workout with zero carbs, and ideally zero calories.
Which Sweeteners Should You Look For?
The most important thing you’ll need to look for in your pre-workout to ensure it’s friendliness with keto is the sweetener. Obviously you’ll want to avoid sugar, but you should look for an alternative sweetener that is as low as possible on the glycemic index.
Look for these sweeteners in your pre workout:
- Stevia: Stevia is a natural sweetener derived from the Stevia rebaudiana plant.
- Sucralose: Succralose is an artificial sweetener that your body does not metabolize or digest, so it doesn’t provide calories or carbs.
- Erythritol: Erythritol is a type of sugar alcohol that essentially mimics the taste of sugar by stimulating the sweet taste receptors on your tongue.
- Xylitol: Xylitol is another sugar alcohol, that is widely used in sugar-free gum and mints. It’s taste is comparable to sugar, but it contains fewer calories and carbohydrates.
Benefits of Keto Pre Workout
There are plenty of pre workouts that are keto-friendly, in addition to the growing range of pre workouts that are specifically tailored to customers who are on keto diets. Here are a number of benefits that keto pre workouts provide:
- Calorie Free Energy: With Keto pre workout, you can take the supplement while fasting without breaking your fast. You’ll still get the energy boost from the caffeine and other stimulants in your pre workout.
- Better Focus in The Gym: Ingredients like caffeine and L-theanine can help promote mental clarity and focus, which can help improve the quality of your training.
- Improved Athletic Performance: In a ketogenic state, your body has switched to using fat as its primary source of fuel rather than carbohydrates. This is fine for endurance athletes who typically train at low intensity, but can make things difficult if you’re doing CrossFit or more intense weightlifting workouts. Pre workout can give you a nice jolt of energy without relying on carbohydrates.
How To Pick The Best Keto Pre Workout
Picking out the perfect keto pre workout supplement can feel overwhelming, especially if you’re new to the supplement world. The process is essentially the same as looking for a pre workout when you aren’t on keto.
Use these tips to find the best keto pre workout supplements:
- Avoid Proprietary Blends: Special “blends” in pre workouts basically just allow supplement manufacturers to save money by under-dosing key ingredients.
- Look at Online Reviews: There are countless online supplement sites that provide reviews of pre workout products. Or you can look on Amazon to see which of your options has received the most positive reviews.
- Choose The Right Stimulant Level: You should choose a pre workout supplement that aligns with your caffeine tolerance. If you drink a lot of coffee or tea, you may need a higher caffeine level to get the full effect of the pre workout.
- Consider Your Training Style: Different pre-workouts are specifically tailored towards different training styles. For example, a bodybuilder may be looking for more pump-focused ingredients, while a runner may be looking for more ingredients that help improve endurance and reduce muscle fatigue.
- Look for Third-Party Tested Supplements: If you care about your health, you’re probably pretty careful about what you put in your body. Third-party testing helps verify that the supplements you’re taking aren’t full of banned substances or other unnecessary ingredients.
Keto Pre Workout FAQ
Are Keto Pre Workout Supplements Safe to Use?
Yes. Pre workout, although it isn’t regulated by the FDA, is generally viewed as safe to use. If you’re concerned, do your own research. You can check the safety and effectiveness of the individual ingredients in your pre workout to get a better idea of what you’re putting in your body and if its safe. The only caveat here is that caffeine in excessive doses can have some negative side effects and can be dangerous. However you can mitigate these risks by only taking pre workout as directed.
Does Keto Pre-Workout Make You Gain Weight?
Some pre workouts can lead some some minimal weight gain, specifically from water retention. The ingredient in pre workout that is primarily responsible for this is creatine. So if you’re worried about this extra weight gain, you can avoid pre workouts that contain creatine. If you’re rapidly dropping fat from your ketogenic diet, you won’t derail your progress just by adding in a pre-workout.
Does Keto Pre-Workout Help with Muscle Gain?
The biggest benefit of keto pre-workout for muscle gain is energy increase and focus. This helps improve the quality and intensity of your workouts, which obviously help lead to additional gains in the gym.
Are There Any Keto-Friendly Alternatives to Pre Workout?
If you’re on a keto diet, but you don’t want to use pre-workout supplements before you workout, there are some easy alternatives. These beverages will give you the energy you need to push yourself through your workout.
- Black Coffee: The classic. The go-to. Black coffee is probably the best natural source of caffeine that you can find. It’s widely available, whether you’re at a gas station, a coffee shop, or at a fast food restaurant.
- Black or Green Tea: Black and green tea are another great way to get caffeine in a natural and clean way. And like coffee, these are available almost anywhere.
- Sugar-Free Energy Drinks: If you don’t want to take a pre workout supplement, but you still want the benefits of caffeine while working out, you can use sugar-free energy drinks. Make sure the sweetener in the drink is keto-friendly, but otherwise there are countless options available in gas stations and grocery stores.
- Diet Soda: Diet soda, although it’s probably not the best way to get caffeine, is still a way to get a little jazzed before you workout. A Diet Coke or Diet Dr. Pepper can give you a quick energy boost before your workout. These can be a good option if you’re extra sensitive to high caffeine drinks.