Pre workout is one of the most popular supplements for people who go to the gym regularly. The stimulant effects in pre workouts can help fire up your central nervous system, and give you an energy boost for hard workouts in the gym.
The 13 Best Pre Workouts for Beginners to Buy
These pre workout supplements will provide you with the energy you need to crush your workout. Whether you’re looking for a stimulant-free, pump supplement or a hardcore high-stimulant option, one of these pre workouts will meet your needs.
Bucked Up Pre Workout – Best All Around Pre Workout
Why Bucked Up Pre Workout?
- Great Tasting: Bucked Up is widely known for their great tasting pre workout drinks.
- Keto Friendly: This pre workout is sugar-free and contains no stevia. If you’re following keto, no worries, this pre workout is keto-friendly.
- Fully Transparent Nutrition Label: Bucked Up’s label is fully transparent and you won’t have to worry about unapproved ingredients sneaking into your supplements.
- 100% Money-Back Guarantee: If you are unsatisfied in any way you’ll receive a 100% refund with no questions asked.
- 200mg of Caffeine: Bucked Up provides the perfect balance of stimulants without being over-powering or bringing on negative side effects.
- Energy, Focus, and Pump: You’ll get all the benefits you’re looking to get from your pre workout. Perfect for strength and team sport athletes.
Nutricost Pre Workout – Best Budget Pre Workout
Why Nutricost Pre Workout?
- No Proprietary Blends or Formulas: Nutricost’s Pre Workout doesn’t contain proprietary blends, so you’ll know exactly what’s included by looking at the label.
- Sugar-Free: There’s no sugar in Nutricost, making it keto-friendly and perfect for athletes who prefer to workout fasted.
- Creatine-Free Pre Workout: If you’re trying to avoid creatine because of the potential weight gain and water retention, you won’t have to worry with this pre workout.
- 5 Flavor Options: This pre workout is available in blue raspberry, fruit punch, grape, peach mango, and watermelon flavors.
- Non-GMO, Gluten-Free: Nutricost contains no genetically modified ingredients and is 100% gluten free.
C4 Sport Pre Workout – Best for Athletes
Why C4 Sport?
- America’s Top Selling Pre-Workout: C4 is the most recognized name in pre workout supplements. The brand has been trusted since 2011 and has since sold more than 2 billion servings.
- CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine: This is a premium beta-alanine, which can improve muscular endurance and fight fatigue.
- Solid Pump Ingredients: C4 is formulated with a nitrogen-containing compound designed to build lean muscle mass, maximize performance, and increase strength gains.
- Third-Party Tested: C4 has been certified for sport by the NSF, an independent certification program recognized by USADA, the MLB, NHL, and Canadian Football League.
- Delicious Flavor Options: C4 is available in Blue Raspberry, Fruit Punch, and Watermelon.
Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Pre Workout
Why Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard?
- Immune Support: This pre workout contains Vitamin D to promote a healthy immune system.
- 175mg Of Caffeine: This is a great beginner pre workout because the caffeine level is high enough to boost your energy levels without leading to the negative side effects of too much caffeine.
- Pre Workout with Creatine: You’ll get the muscle growth, endurance, and recovery benefits of creatine, included directly in your pre workout.
- Banned Substance Tested: If you’re a competitive athlete, you won’t have to worry about this pre workout including any banned substances.
- Delicious Flavor Options: Gold Standard Pre-Workout comes in 4 great flavors – Blueberry Lemonade, Green Apple, Watermelon Candy, and Fruit Punch
Alani Nu Pre Workout – Best Natural Option
Why Alani Nu Pre Workout?
- 200mg of Caffeine: Alani Nu is relatively high in caffeine, which may be a little much for beginners. However, if you’re someone who drinks a lot of coffee, tea or energy drinks, this caffeine level should be great.
- 100% Transparent Ingredients: No proprietary blends, so you’ll know exactly what you’re consuming when you take this pre workout.
- Eight Flavor Options: Alani Nu is available in Artcic White, Breezeberry, Cosmic Stardust, Galaxy Lemonade, Hawaiian Shaved Ice, Island Crush, Mimosa, and Rainbow Candy.
- Banned Substance Tested: Alani Nu is tested for banned substances, so you don’t need to worry about failing drugs tests when on this pre workout.
- Good Manufacturing Practice Compliant: Alani Nu takes its manufacturing process to the next level by making sure every step is approved by the Good Manufacturing Practice guidelines.
Transparent Labs BULK – Highest Quality Pre Workout
Why Transparent Labs BULK?
- Great for Endurance: The amino acids included in BULK help to reduce tryptophan build-up in the brain which can boost energy and endurance.
- Leucine: BULK includes leucine which is responsible for protein synthesis which can drastically improve strength and minimize muscle degradation.
- Citrulline Malate: This pre workout includes citrulline malate as a better alternative to L-arginine. These ingredients have similar effects, but citrulline malate is at least twice as effective in raising nitric oxide levels for maximum muscle pumps.
- Properly Dosed Ingredients: The ingredients in this pre workout are dosed to be as effective as possible. This leads to BULK’s higher price point, but it also maximizes effectiveness.
- Focus-Forward Ingredients: BULK’s inclusion of L-tyrosine helps minimize the body’s cortisol production and stress. L-tyrosine can help improve memory and performance in physically stressful states.
Ghost Legend Pre Workout
Why Ghost Legend Pre Workout?
- Blend of Energy, Focus & Pump: Ghost Legend is a great, balanced pre workout that delivers the range of benefits people get from pre workout.
- L-Citrulline: L-Citrulline provides better pumps and less stomach irritation than arginine.
- Zero Proprietary Blends: Ghost’s label is 100% transparent so you’ll know exactly which ingredients are included in your scoop of pre workout.
- Respected Brand: Ghost is a popular, established brand in the fitness space. Ghost has recently delved into creating stimulant and focus products for gaming and e-sports.
- Creative Flavors: Ghost Legend comes in a number of unique, creative flavors. This pre workout is available in Blue Raspberry, Peach, Sonic Cherry Lemonade, Sonic Ocean Water, Sour Patch Kids Redberry, Swedish Fish, Warheads Sour Watermelon, and Welch’s Grape.
Why NITROSURGE Pre Workout?
- Smooth Energy: The combination of caffeine, L-Theanine, and L-Citrulline, make this pre workout supplement a pleasant source of energy and focus without a sharp burst and crash.
- Science-Backed Ingredients: The ingredients in NITROSURGE have been tested and proven by science and clinical trials.
- Made in the USA: NITROSURGE is manufactured in the USA in a cGMP-Certified Manufacturing Facility, using the highest quality raw ingredients.
- Available in 12 Flavors: NITROSURGE comes in Arctic White, Black Cherry, Blue Raspberry, Blueberry Lemonade, Cherry Limeade, Cotton Candy, Grape, Green Apple, Pineapple, Sour Peach Rings, Strawberry Margarita, and Watermelon.
Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy – Best for Endurance Training
Why Optimum Nutrition Amino Energy?
- Used by Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson: Amino Energy has been used and promoted by The Rock. (No guarantees that using this will make you look like The Rock, though.)
- Mellow Pre Workout: Each serving of Amino Energy contains 100mg of caffeine, so you can take more or less to fit your caffeine needs. You can also use this pre workout if you’re working out later in the day.
- Aminos Aid in Recovery: Aminos are great for endurance athletes training for longer than 90 minutes. This can also aid in muscle recovery.
- Many Flavor Options: Blue Raspberry, Blueberry Lemonade, Blueberry Mojito, Fruit Fusion, Grape, Green Apple, Orange, Strawberry, Strawberry Lime, and Watermelon.
RedCon1 Total War
Why RedCon1 Total War?
- Great for Endurance Athletes: The combination of 250 milligrams caffeine, 3.2 grams of beta alanine, and 6 grams of Citrulline Malate works wonders for endurance athletes.
- Banned Substance Free: Total War is third-party tested and is free from banned substances. This makes it safe to use for professional and competitive athletes who may be subject to drug tests.
- Strong Combination: The combo of stimulants, focus factors, and nitric oxide compounds makes Total War a great choice for anyone looking for a pre workout.
- Money Back Guarantee: If you are not 100% satisfied within 30 days, RedCon1 will help resolve your concern or provide a full refund.
Why B.S.N. NO-XPLODE?
- Higher Stimulant: No-Xplode contains 275mg of caffeine per serving. This pre workout is ideal for people who have already established a tolerance to caffeine. No-Xplode also contains DMAE Bitartrate, which can improve mental focus.
- Established Brand: BSN has established its name in the supplement and pre workout world since 2004. Many top athletes have used this supplement over the years.
- Pump-Focused Ingredients: No-Xplode includes a range of pump-inducing ingredients. Beta-alanine, and L-Citrulline Malate help deliver great muscle pumps by improving blood flow.
- 5 Amazing Flavors: Blue Raz, Fruit Punch, Grape, Green Apple, and Watermelon
Legion Pulse Pre Workout
Why Legion Pulse Pre Workout?
- 100% Natural Pre Workout: Pulse is flavored entirely by natural sweeteners and flavors. The pre workout contains all natural ingredients.
- Focus & Energy Boost: The combination of caffeine and L-Theanine helps provide smooth and sustained energy, and great mental focus.
- Pump & Strength Ingredients: Legion Pulse includes AlphaGPC, Citrulline Malate, Beta-Alanine, and Betaine, which all help promote muscle activation, strength and pump.
- Money Back Guarantee: If you’re not satisfied with this pre workout, just notify Legion and you’ll receive a prompt and courteous refund.
Beyond Raw Lit Pre Workout
Why Beyond Raw Lit Pre Workout?
- Clinically Dosed Ingredients: Beyond Raw Lit includes clinically dosed individual ingredients, rather than proprietary blends often found in other pre workouts.
- Great for Men and Women: This pre workout is targeted specifically for both men and women, making it a great choice for you if you like to steal scoops of your girlfriend’s pre workout.
- Balanced Pre Workout: This is a good option for anyone looking for a nice balance between intense energy, mental focus, and muscle pump.
- Range of Flavor Options: Lit Pre Workout is available in Blue Raspberry, Fruit Punch, Gummy Worm, Icy Fireworks, Orange Mango, and Strawberry Lemonade.
How To Choose a Pre Workout as a Beginner
Honestly, the best way to choose a pre workout is to try a few options yourself. Everyone’s body reacts differently to different supplements and their specific ingredients. Just because a particular pre workout has great reviews online, you may find that you don’t react to it in a positive way. The best alternative to trying multiple pre workout options is to go to your local supplement store and talk to someone there about what you’re looking for in a pre workout.
What Should Beginners Look for in a Pre Workout?
The great thing about getting started with lifting or taking pre workout is that it’s easy to get gains, and it’s easy to feel the effects of your supplements.
There are still some things that beginners should look for in a pre workout:
- Proper Ingredient Dosage: Some pre workouts are notorious for under dosing the key ingredients in their products. If you’re serious about getting the best pre workout available you should research the individual ingredients to see how much they need to include to be effective.
- Low to Mid Caffeine Level: The key ingredient in most pre workouts is caffeine. It’s best to start with a lower dosage of caffeine in your pre workout, or you may find yourself experiencing negative side effects. If you don’ have a high tolerance to caffeine, you really don’t need a high-stimulant pre workout. A pre workout with less than 200mg of caffeine per serving should be plenty to give you a jolt of energy.
- Reputable Brand: If your friend swears by the sketchy pre workout they mixed up on their own, we’d recommend you look elsewhere. You should look for respected brands that have undergone third-party testing. This helps verify that the company’s manufacturing process is safe and that you won’t have any unwanted ingredients in your supplements.
- Well-Rounded Pre Workout: You’ll likely want a pre workout that provides more benefits than just stimulants like caffeine. The best pre workout supplements include nitric oxide boosting ingredients for maximum pumps. You’ll also want the muscular endurance benefits of beta-alanine. If you’re sensitive to caffeine, you may want to look into stimulant-free pre workout options.
- No Proprietary Blends: Proprietary blends are a way for supplement companies to save money by under dosing the expensive ingredients in their products. Rather than looking for blends, you should rely on pre workouts that list out the individual ingredients on their nutrition labels.
Is Pre Workout Worth It for Beginners
Pre workout isn’t 100% necessary by any means, but it can help energize your workouts and get you to push harder in the gym. If you’re young, say in middle school or high school, you may want to think twice before jumping into pre workout supplements. While pre workout is most likely safe for teens, consuming too much caffeine at a young age may not be the best for your health.