If you’re just starting to workout, or you’ve just set some ambitious new fitness goals, you may be looking for an extra edge from pre workout supplements. However, if your pre workout could potentially stall your progress by making you gain weight, obviously you may need to switch up which pre workout you’re using.
What is Pre Workout?
Pre workout is a supplement specifically designed to give you energy for workouts. There are different kinds of pre workouts for every type of training, whether you’re a bodybuilder trying to pack on muscle, a runner trying to set a marathon PR, or a fitness newbie just trying to shed a few extra pounds.
Most pre workout supplements rely on caffeine to give you a burst of energy, however there are also stimulant-free pre workouts that can help with blood flow for maximum pump, improved endurance, or nootropics for enhanced focus. Some of the additional ingredients in pre workout, like creatine or some artificial sweeteners, may cause weight gain from water retention, or bloating from artificial sweeteners. If you’re trying to lose weight, obviously those side effects may be an issue.
Is Pre Workout Good for Losing Weight?
Pre workout is generally good for losing weight. The energy boost and thermogenic effects of pre workout help boost metabolism to promote fat burning and weight loss, and increase endurance and promote faster recovery so you can improve the quality of your workouts.
Benefits of Pre Workout for Weight Loss:
- Increased Energy: Using pre workout can give you more energy to push harder in the gym and keep going longer for cardio and endurance focused workouts.
- Motivation: One of my favorite benefits of pre workout is that the habit of taking it can be motivating to get in the gym and get after it even when you’re not feeling 100 percent.
- Increased Metabolic Activity: The increase in body temperature from pre workout and nervous system stimulants help improve energy output and fat burning.
Is Pre Workout Making You Gain Weight?
The question of whether pre-workout makes you gain weight is a common one. The answer is not as simple as it seems. There are many factors that determine whether or not someone will gain weight from taking pre-workout, and they all depend on the individual.
Pre-workouts are designed to give people energy and focus before a workout, but they also contain ingredients that can cause weight gain. The most common ingredient in pre-workouts that causes weight gain is caffeine, which can lead to increased appetite and cravings for sugary foods. Other ingredients in pre-workouts like creatine can also cause water retention, which can make you look bloated or puffy.
One note here is that the weight gain from pre workout is generally just water weight, unless you’re actually eating more food and storing fat. If you’re using pre workout to fuel your body recomposition, it is still a valuable supplement and you can still benefit from using it.
Caffeine, although it can be useful for suppressing appetite, may actually cause people to eat more due to cravings for food. Initially caffeine can help minimize hunger, but when it wears off hunger can rebound greater than if you’d have avoided caffeine altogether.
Creatine is a popular supplement because it can deliver more water and nutrients to your muscle leading to size gain. This is a positive side effect if you’re trying to get jacked and pack on muscle. If your goal is weight loss this can be a negative side effect. There are pre workout supplements that do not contain creatine, so if you’re experiencing weight gain with your current pre workout look into these alternatives.
Artificial sweeteners don’t directly lead to weight gain, however they can make it more difficult for your body to count calories and perceive your food intake. This can end up encouraging weight gain rather than weight loss. Cleveland Clinic reported that consuming diet sodas (that contain artificial sweeteners) can lead to a number of other negative side effects besides weight gain.
Best Pre Workouts for Losing Weight
Generally no pre workout is going to make you gain weight beyond just a couple of pounds of water weight. However, if you’re looking for a pre workout to help you lose weight these options can be helpful.
Best Thermogenic Pre Workouts
Thermogenic pre workouts are supplements that are designed to increase the body’s temperature. They are used to help with weight loss and muscle building.
The ingredients in these supplements vary from one product to another, but they all have one thing in common – they contain caffeine. Caffeine is a stimulant that increases the body’s metabolism and blood flow, which can lead to an increase in energy levels. In addition to caffeine some of these pre workouts included other ingredients that can increase energy expenditure to promote fat burning.
Bucked Up LFG Burn Pre Workout
The ingredients in Bucked Up LFG Burn are designed for those who want an extra boost before their workouts. It helps you to increase your energy levels and focus, while also helping to reduce fatigue and soreness. The ingredients include caffeine, creatine, beta-alanine, citrulline malate, l-tyrosine, taurine and more.
Why Bucked Up LFG Burn?
- Thermogenic Ingredients: These ingredients help promote increased energy output and fat loss.
- Dopaminergic Effects: This pre workout can help enhance mood and motivation in the gym.
- High-Stimulant Pre Workout: This high stimulant workout will give you a boost of energy in the gym, enhance your focus, and help you burn more fat.
EVL EngnShred pre workout is a pre-workout supplement that is designed to give you the energy and focus to power through your workouts. The ingredients in this product are designed to increase your energy, strength, and endurance. This product also contains ingredients that help with muscle recovery and growth.
Why EVL ENGN SHRED Pre Workout?
- Metabolism Boost: The compounds in ENGN SHRED help raise your core temperature to increase calorie burning to promote fat loss and weight loss.
- Enhanced Focus: The combination of natural caffeine and nootropics (Huperzine A, Alpha GPC, and Choline Bitartrate) in this pre workout help you crush your workouts and stay focused on the task at hand.
- Improved Endurance: To burn more calories, it’s important to be able to push through and workout longer. Blood flow ingredients like CarnoSyn beta alanine and B-Vitamins help delay muscle fatigue.
Cellucor C4 Ultimate Shred
C4 Ultimate Shred is a weight loss supplement that is made up of four different ingredients. The ingredients are caffeine, green tea extract, raspberry ketones, and garcinia cambogia. The product was designed to help people lose weight by boosting their metabolism and suppressing their appetite.
Why C4 Ultimate Shred?
- High-Stimulant Blend: The stimulants in C4 Ultimate Shred will fuel higher quality workouts and keep you focused during training.
- Thermogenic Ingredients for Max Fat-Burning: C4’s Shred Thermogenic Matrix helps raise your core temperature to make it easier to burn calories and promote fat loss.
- Delayed Muscular Fatigue: Beta-Alanine and other vasodilators help promote blood flow, which can improve muscle pumps and allow you to go longer before fatiguing.