The stakes are higher than ever for gamers. In 2021, the entire eSports industry was valued at over $1 billion, with top players earning millions of dollars per year. The outcome of a game may now be worth millions of dollars in prize money, so gamers are looking for any edge they can get. Those edges are coming in the form of supplements, drugs, and mental training.
Among the supplements that players are using are pre-workout supplements. These typically include stimulants like caffeine, and other ingredients to help improve focus.
Why Use Pre Workout for Gaming?
Pre workout supplements are traditionally thought of as something people use for going to the gym. However, there are pre-workout formulas specifically designed for gamers that also include ingredients like nootropics to improve gaming performance.
These are some of the benefits gamers may get from using pre-workout supplements:
- Better Reaction Time
- Heightened Alertness
- Improved Focus
- Better Visual Accuracy
What are Nootropics?
Nootropics are basically any substance or formula that improve brain function. There are a number of benefits of taking nootropics, especially for gaming. Nootropics can help improve focus, mental stamina, reaction time, and productivity.
Which Nootropics are Included in Pre Workouts?
- L-Tyrosine: L-Tyrosine helps humans perform complex tasks in stressful situations, such as being asked to perform cognitively demanding tasks. L-tyrosine helped subjects in studies exhibit fewer processing problems and memory deficits than those who didn’t take the substance.
- Citicoline: Citicoline is often given to aging populations who suffer with memory and thinking skills. The substance can help improve brain function and even has potential benefits for improving visual acuity and accuracy.
- L-Theanine: L-theanine helps improve focus, and improves accuracy task completion. L-theanine also helps improve a person’s attention and reaction times. L-theanine may help reduce the negative effects of caffeine and other stimulants.
- B Vitamins: B vitamins help enzymes in our bodies do their jobs and can improve cellular mechanisms. B vitamins can also play a role in promoting better brain function. A proper balance of B vitamins in the body help optimize both physiological and neurological functions.
- Caffeine: Caffeine is a central nervous system stimulant which means it excites the neural pathways in the brain and throughout the body. This effect can help improve reaction times and focus. Doses of caffeine between 160mg and 600mg can help improve mental alertness, speed reasoning and memory.
- AstraGin: AstraGin helps support absorption of a wide range of nutrients, including amino acids, Omega-3s and creatine. This ingredient essentially improves the absorption and effectiveness of other ingredients in pre workout.
- Alpha-GPC: Alpha-GPC plays a role in increasing acetylcholine levels, which plays a role in memory and learning. Alpha-GPC may boost memory and cognitive function by improving blood flow to the brain. In addition the brain benefits, Alpha-GPC may also play a role in boosting athletic performance.
Are Nootropics Safe?
Nootropics are safe if you are aware of the risks and how to avoid them.
Chris D’Adamo is the director of research and education at the University of Maryland’s Center for Integrative medicine. He believe that “nootropics won’t give you superhuman mental abilities, but they have the potential to offer some people an edge.”
There isn’t a ton of research on many of the nootropics included in pre-workout supplements. Nootropics are generally viewed as safe, as long as they are taken according to the manufacturer’s recommended dosage. Additionally, many nootropics are widely consumed and available. Caffeine, for example, is consumed by over 80 percent of the adult population and is generally viewed as safe to use.
According to an article published in Innovations in Clinical Neuroscience: “The misuse of nootropics—any substance that may alter, improve, or augment cognitive performance, mainly through the stimulation or inhibition of certain neurotransmitters—may potentially be dangerous and deleterious to the human brain, and certain individuals with a history of mental or substance use disorders might be particularly vulnerable to their adverse effects.”
Are Nootropics Addictive?
Most of the compounds we’ve discussed earlier in this post are not addictive, but there are some that you may develop a tolerance to. Caffeine for example is addictive because you can develop a tolerance within just a few days of consistent use. If you find that you’re having issues with certain supplements, we recommend talking to a doctor who may be able to advise you on how to cut back.
Best Pre Workout for Gaming [with Nootropics]: Ghost Gamer
Ghost GAMER provides the perfect combination of brain-boosting nootropics and natural energy from caffeine and other stimulants. Along with the cool designs that we’ve come to associate with the Ghost brand, you also get a fully transparent formula. Regardless of which game you’re jumping into, Ghost GAMER can help you boost your focus and deliver the win for your squad.
Why Use Ghost GAMER?
- GHOST Full Disclosure Label: All Ghost products include transparent labelling to let you know exactly what you’re getting and how much of each ingredient you’re taking.
- nooLVL: nooLVL is a blend of nootropics designed to boost cognitive performance and energy for gamers. It has been clinically studied in eSports players to significantly improve visual attention, accuracy and reaction time.
- L-Tyrosine: L-Tyrosine is an amino acid which helps increase the production of neurotransmitters by enhancing dopamine, epinephrine and norepinephrine levels. L-Tyrosine has shown to improve mood and enhance focus in studies. Ghost Gamer contains 1000mg of L-Tyrosine, so you’ll be dialed in for every session.
- Citicoline: GAMER contains Cognizin Citicoline which helps support attention, focus, and brain energy. This particular citicoline has been shown to reduce errors while on task, to help keep you sharp in the middle of intense gaming sessions.
- AstraGin: AstraGin helps improve your body’s ability to absorb glucose, proteins, and amino acids. This helps your body absorb the other ingredients in Ghost GAMER to make sure you’re getting the maximum impact.